Mar 23, 2010

Follow up: “The iPhone Mom: Applications for Educating, Distracting, and Multitasking”

I am not even going to comment this. The picture is already enough. If you cannot catch the evident and disturbing symbolic implications of the image, here is a quote for you: “Now I’m not ashamed to admit that I have apps on my iPhone for the sole purpose of keeping my five year old distracted while I navigate Costco. But on the other hand, I also have apps that have helped him learn how to read. My ten year old has used apps to gain a better grasp on her multiplication skills and my seven year old has become a better speller through word games”. If you need more read this blog. If you need more… I really do not know how to help you.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm... I wasn't sure if you were tryng to say this is a good thing or a bad thing?? But I will take a leap and give my thoughts on the subject.

    My opinion is that if you are willing to put a 500 dollar piece of machinery in your childs hand, then at least you are getting your FULL money's worth. My experience with children has shown me that they have a very short attention span... If you aren't changing the atmosphere, entertainment, or distraction every five minutes, there WILL BE chaos!

    I had worked with cellphones in a professional sense for over a year, and used them for several more. Especially today, I do not find them to be particularly dangerous, especially if you keep an eye on them. Therefore, if you can use your phone to talk, text, navigate, schedule, alarm, and now even entertain your child and perhaps even teach him something.. then I say our technology is headed in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete